Friday, January 28, 2011
Karela (Bitter-melon) Masala
3-4 Bitter-melons (karelas)
1 Medium Onion - chopped
2 Tomatoes - chopped
2 Green chillies
1tsp Ginger-garlic paste
1tsp Cumin seeds
1/2tsp Red Chilli powder
1/2tsp Coriander seeds
1/4tsp Turmeric powder
1/4tsp Garam masala
2tsp Lemon juice
salt to taste
1. Cut the Bitter melons along length and remove seeds. Juvenile/chop into small pieces. Put it in a container and sprinkle salt and the lemon juice. Leave for marination for 15 mins and wash thoroughly with warm water. This helps reduce the bitterness.
2. On a frying pan, add the oil and the cumin seeds. When they begin to sizzle, add onions and green chillies. Fry till light golden.
3. Add all the masalas and fry for 2 mins.
4. Add the tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes melt.
5. Now add the bitter-melon and cover. Stir occasionally.
Enjoy Karela Masala with roti-bread or dal-rice!
PS: You can substitute Karela with Bhindi(Okra) to make Bhindi Masala