100gm basmati rice
50gm raisins (washed and soaked in water)
2-3 bay leaves
3-4 cardamom pods
2tbsp desi ghee (indian clarified butter)
1. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a wok and lightly stir-fry cashews and bay leaves.
2. Add milk to the wok and boil on low.
3. Wash rice. Add 1tbsp ghee and mix well. Put this rice in the boiling milk.
4. Add soaked raisins and boil till rice is cooked. Keep stirring to avoid deposition and sticking.
5. Crush cardamom pods and add them along with salt, sugar slowly to the wok.
6. Cool and garnish with dry fruits. Serve in small cups.
Tip: You can use Jaggery instead of sugar. However, it needs to be mixed with hot water to make a paste and added at the end, after the payesh is done. (Adding jaggery while boiling might spoil the milk.)